Month: December 2021

Part-P Registered Electrician

How does Part ‘P’ affect me, the Homeowner?

It’s all to easy to take electricity as a given and it is evident most households could well be lost without one, however we have to never forget the best way dangerous it might be. Around 13,000 house fires, 760 serious injuries and 12 deaths are caused each and every year by unsafe electrics in your home. By executing electrical work yourself you will not only be ignoring the law, you will probably be putting the lives people and your family vulnerable. This is why Part P exists.

What is Part P?

Since 2005, a utility safety law, Part P from the Building Regulations, has been place. Part P was shown enhance the protection of householders and reduce the quantity of accidents brought on by unsafe electrics.

The law requires most electrical work to be achieved by an electrician registered having a government approved scheme. Upon completion with the work a registered electrician will provide you with a power safety certificate plus a Compliance Certificate, this acts as the guarantee that the effort meets the requirements on the Building Regulations.

So, do I need a mason to carry out all electrical work?

No, don’t assume all work. Some work known officially as “minor work” is usually undertaken yourself. “Minor work” is electrical work which doesn’t require the addition of any new circuit, degrees of this include replacing sockets or replacing existing light switches and ceiling roses.

What work need to be undertaken by the registered electrician?

Any work that concerns running a brand new circuit or any electrical installations in kitchens, bathrooms and gardens need to be undertaken using a registered electrician. This is because these areas are classed as “special locations” because risk of electric shock is significantly greater.

Work in other places that should be undertaken by the registered electrician includes, but is not restricted to:

 A complete new installation or rewiring
 Installing a fresh circuit
 Installing a storage heater
 Installing a generator
 Installing underfloor heating
 Replacing a fuse board

If you’re unsure, check having a registered electrician or perhaps your local building control office before commencing any work.

What could happen I don’t conform to Part P?

Failure to abide by Part P is really a criminal offence. By failing to comply you’ll not have a certificate to prove that your particular electrical work is carried out using a registered electrician or that the project has been passed as safe. Because of this it might also help it become difficult to sell your premises in the future as you’ll not be able to produce evidence which the electrical work continues to be carried out in accordance with Building Regulations.

Not only this you might also face a great of up to £5,000 and may even be forced with the local authority to repay to have the faulty work removed or put right.

Have you found it challenging to find the local electrician in Cwmbran or Abergavenny, to execute small jobs? Do you obtain quotes and don’t get a response?

Based in Cwmbran, sufficient reason for over ten years of experience, PG Electrics are experts in domestic installations and also the provision of an range of services instantly to Homeowners, Letting Agents and Landlords. Our services include

Additions and alterations Complete or partial rewires New fuse boards Testing and inspection Repairs and maintenance We are ELECSA Registered Domestic Installers, and all of work performed complies with current IET Regulations (Seventeenth Edition), is Part ‘P’ compliant, fully insured and guaranteed.